Use of To-Be Verbs

The feared verb "was" comes so common when we compose, a propensity from youth I assume. I understood that I would need to change my composition style. At the point when stopping as we compose, the desire to utilize one of the 'to-be-verbs' comes as an approach to rapidly close an idea, and to proceed onward with the story. This is a disgrace, as we ought to back off and look for words to express how we feel or how the characters in our story may feel. 

I set out on a mission diminish or totally get rid of 'to-be-verbs' utilized as a part of my novel of 52,400 words: is = 352 times, am = 31 times, are = 157 times, was = 706 times, were = 215 times, be = 341 times, being = 44 times, and been = 106 times. The 'to-be' verbs claim supreme truth, are general, ambiguous and may confound the peruser. In the wake of wiping out 700 employments of that over-utilized verb "was" I enjoyed a reprieve before beginning to deal with the other seven 'to-be' verbs. 

The need to dispose of all the 'to-be verbs' was not vital, what was critical was getting out from under that propensity! Other individuals perusing my book might not have seen how frequently I utilized the words, yet after the primary update I could tell a distinction. Try not to misunderstand me, I feel like there is a spot for utilizing these verbs, and a couple of from time to time may work out in a book, nonetheless I have reached the conclusion that less is better. 

Here are a couple of cases of the progressions. "The writer was nine years of age at the time and ran with Jim, his Grandfather, angling at the Trout Pond." New form peruses: "Just nine years of age at the time, running angling with my Grandfather at the Trout Pond, and seeing him at the little service station, scanning for recollections of an alternate time, 65 years back." Another illustration, "The morning was cool with a slight breeze leaving the northwest, as Jim grabbed his fly pole, kissed Allie farewell and headed down the path to his most loved angling gap." New form peruses: "Jim got his fly pole, kissed his wife Allie farewell, turned up his neckline, confronted a cool morning breeze leaving the northwest, and headed down the path to his most loved angling opening." The main genuine change in this last case, confronted a cool morning breeze, simply put somewhat more feeling into the story.

Share this

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »